It has been a long time coming, and a number of cameras have tried to replace the incredibly popular D300s which was released in 2009, but nothing official ever came along...until now!
The Nikon D500 is a DX-format digital SLR camera that packs the incredible performance of the D5, Nikon's flagship FX-format model, into an agile body.
- 20.9Million Pixels
- 153-Point AD System
- Expeed 5 Processor
- 10Frames Per Second
- 4K / UHD Video Capture
- SnapBridge Connection
- 100% ViewFinder Coverage
- 3.2” Touch LCD
- Kit with Nikon 16-80mm f2.8-4E AF-S DX ED VR
The D500 incorporates the same powerful 153-point AF system as the D5, ensuring precise subject acquisition even during high-speed continuous shooting at approx. 10 fps. It supports 4K UHD movies, meeting the demands of multimedia professionals, while the new EXPEED 5 image-processing engine enables it to deliver high-quality images and movies and realizes a wide sensitivity range from ISO 100 to 51200, expandable to Hi 5 (ISO 1640000 equivalent).
Powerful 153-point AF achieves superior subject acquisition performance across a wide range of situations
The D500's Multi-CAM 20K autofocus sensor module offers a dense configuration of 153 focus points (99 cross sensors) that covers an extremely wide portion of the image area, meaning that even fast-moving subjects can be acquired precisely. AF capability is extended down to -4 EV* with the central point and -3 EV with all other points, making AF usable even in extremely low light or when shooting low-contrast subjects. A newly employed AF engine and 180K-pixel RGB sensor also contribute to achieving exceptional AF performance in a variety of scenes.
High-speed continuous shooting at approx. 10 fps for up to 200 shots (14-bit lossless compressed RAW)
The D500 delivers high-speed continuous shooting at approx. 10 fps for up to 200 shots in JPEG and in 14-bit lossless compressed RAW, without any drop in shooting speed. Even moving subjects can be tracked accurately across a wide field of view at this rapid rate, taking advantage of the camera's stable viewfinder image and a widest-ever diagonal viewing angle of approx. 30.8°.
Unique benefits of a compact DX system — added agility in telephoto shooting
Nikon's DX-format D500 provides an angle of view equivalent to that of a lens with an approx. 1.5x longer focal length. This permits telephoto shooting using smaller, lighter lenses with a shorter focal length, while taking advantage of performance that rivals the D5 FX-format flagship model.
4K UHD video, suitable for professional productions
The D500 can record 4K UHD (3840 x 2160)/30p/25p/24p as well as 1080/60p video for up to 29 min. 59 s, with simultaneous output via HDMI available. It is also possible to generate 4K UHD time-lapse movies within the camera. In Full HD or HD mode, the D500's electronic Vibration Reduction function reduces the effects of camera shake in the horizontal, vertical and rotational directions during hand-held movie recording, while Active D-Lighting preserves details in highlights and shadows to capture footage with natural brightness.
New EXPEED 5 image-processing engine achieves sensitivity up to ISO 51200, expandable to Hi 5 (equivalent to ISO 1640000)
The D500's new EXPEED 5 image-processing engine, as used in the D5, delivers standard ISO sensitivity from 100 to 51200, expandable down to Lo 1 (ISO 50 equivalent) and up to Hi 5 (ISO 1640000 equivalent). It can capture exceptionally high-definition images, while effectively reducing noise even at high ISO settings. The new 180K-pixel RGB sensor (approx. 180,000 pixels) further improves the performance of the camera's Advanced Scene Recognition System, and its flicker reduction for still images reduces exposure variations even under flickering light sources.
Touch-screen, tilting 8-cm/3.2-in. high-resolution monitor ensures more comfortable shooting for professionals and advanced amateurs
The D500's touch-panel monitor enables a variety of functions, including instant switching of images using the frame advance bar and text input — shared with the D5 — as well as touch AF and touch shutter (in still shooting). The tilting monitor with 3-axis hinge structure allows you to shoot from more flexible angles for stills and movies. And its large 8-cm/3.2-in. screen with significantly enhanced 2359k-dot resolution lets you confirm focus in amazingly precise detail.
SnapBridge support lets you link with a smart device via Bluetooth and Wi-Fi
The D500 can be constantly connected to a smart device* with the SnapBridge application installed (to be available as a free download), via Bluetooth or Wi-Fi. This enables a variety of features: you can automatically transfer images taken with the D500 to your smart device, as well as upload them automatically to NIKON IMAGE SPACE. You can also use the smart device to browse images stored in the camera, as well as embed images with its location and date/time information. SnapBridge dramatically enhances the value and convenience of images taken with the D500.
*Smartphones and tablet computers with iOS or Android™.
Nikon 16-80mm f2.8-4E AF-S DX ED VR
Incredible "Standard Zoom" for DX Cameras
For those looking for more from a "Standard Zoom" lens, then look no further! This perfect go-to lens is ideal for adventurous photographers offer a 24-120mm (35mm equiv.) ideal for loads of possibilities. And with the fast aperture, low lighting becomes a worry of the past
- High performance 5x Optical Zoom
- Lightweight and compact design
- Fast aperture
- Incredible Vibration Reduction control
High-performance DX zoom lens with 16–80mm focal length range and bright f/2.8–4 aperture. With the latest technology and compact build, this is the ultimate walkabout lens for discerning photographers.
The versatile 5x zoom covers the equivalent of 24–120mm in full-frame format, while the fast aperture opens up more shooting possibilities. Nikon’s impressive Vibration Reduction keeps images sharp. An electromagnetic diaphragm ensures precise exposures at high frame rates. With a lightweight body that balances well on the camera and a protective fluorine coating, this lens is made for photographers with high expectations of their gear.
- High-performance 5x zoom lens: broad 16–80mm focal range (FX-format equivalent: 24–120 mm) and fast f/2.8–4 maximum aperture. The wide-angle to telephoto zoom range easily covers most shooting situations: from sweeping landscapes to intimate portraiture.
- Compact and lightweight: superb all-round travel lens. The body weighs just 480g, boasts compact dimensions and balances perfectly on the camera body.
- Fast aperture: enables pleasing background blur, clear low-light shots and distinctive subject / background separation. Achieves f/2.8 aperture at 16 mm focal length (FX-format equivalent: 24 mm) and f/4 at 80 mm (FX-format equivalent: 120 mm).
- Vibration Reduction (VR): minimises the effects of camera shake and lets you shoot at shutter speeds up to four stops slower. VR operation is quiet, even when filming.
- Advanced optical construction: four ED glass elements and three aspherical lens elements ensure crisp, brilliant images.
- Nano Crystal Coat: reduces ghosting and flare for greater image clarity, even in backlit situations.
- Silent Wave Motor (SWM): for smooth, quiet and accurate autofocus.
- Electromagnetic diaphragm: enables consistent, more precise exposures, especially when shooting at high frame rates.
- Fluorine coating: actively repels water, dust, and dirt without compromising image quality. This coating enhances durability and makes it easier to clean the glass without damaging the surface.
- Minimum focus distance: 0.35 m.