- F-Mount Lens/FX Format
- Aperture Range: f/1.4 to f/16
- Two Aspherical Lens Elements
- Nano Crystal & Super Integrated Coatings
- Silent Wave Motor AF System
- Rounded 9-Blade Diaphragm
Meticulously crafted to deliver exceptional imaging performance, this fast new prime lens is in a class of its own.
The design concept pays homage to Nikon’s legendary Noct-NIKKOR lens, while the brand new optical construction enables astounding sharpness, contrast, and resolution. With outstanding resolving capability, exquisite bokeh, and unbeatable performance when shooting wide-open, this is a distinctive lens for those pursuing the holy grail of low-light photography or who want a lens with a truly unique signature.
A modern legend
The AF-S NIKKOR 58mm f/1.4G brings the advantages of Nikon’s renowned Noct-NIKKOR to today’s high-resolution photography. Thanks to concerted efforts in developing the lens, Nikon’s designers were able to significantly increase sharpness, contrast, and resolution, in addition to greatly reducing coma flare and enabling exquisitely smooth bokeh. The result is a unique lens that offers exceptional aesthetic control, enabling photographers to explore a broad range of creative expression and create images that stand apart from the rest.
Drawing with light
Designed to meet the demands of discerning photographers, the exceptional resolving capability of the AF-S NIKKOR 58mm f/1.4G enables every component of a scene to be faithfully reproduced in exquisite high-resolution. Subjects are sharply rendered when shooting at the widest aperture of f/1.4, and high-contrast images of even distant subjects and low-light scenes can be obtained without needing to stop down the aperture. Sagittal coma flare is effectively minimised across the entire frame with the result that point light sources such as city lights are reproduced as fine rounded points, even at the periphery of the image, enabling unparalleled nightscapes. Despite being a large aperture lens, peripheral light falloff is effectively controlled to retain brightness across the entire frame when shooting at maximum aperture, even with focus set to infinity.
Thanks to its unique optical design, the AF-S NIKKOR 58mm f/1.4G delivers images with exquisite bokeh and an additional sense of depth. Because the intensity of image blur transitions smoothly as the distance from the sharply focused point increases, bokeh appears with no rough edges. In addition, the fine gradation of bokeh from the focus point to the background enables an incredible sense of natural depth. By measuring the degree of resolution and bokeh across individual planes of the image (between foreground, focus plane, and background), Nikon’s designers achieved the perfect balance of resolution and lens aberrations, resulting in a ‘three dimensional’ look that cannot be measured with MTF curves. The benefits extend to movies, too: When pulling focus, bokeh transitions incredibly smoothly, providing a unique advantage when it comes to filming atmospheric scenes.
Renowned NIKKOR quality
Nikon’s Nano Crystal Coat provides outstandingly high anti-reflection effects throughout the visible light range, effectively reducing ghost and flare, and increasing the clarity and contrast of images. A three-element cemented lens technique ensures both optical clarity and reflection reduction, and the front lens element is located deep in the lens barrel to ensure that flare and ghost are effectively reduced even in backlit situations. Autofocus is smooth, quiet, and swift, thanks to Nikon’s SWM (Silent Wave Motor), and build-quality is solid.
- Fast FX-format prime lens with f/1.4 maximum aperture and 58 mm focal length (87 mm when used with a Nikon DX-format SLR). Offers exceptional wide-open performance. Ideal for night scenes as well as portraits.
- True brilliance: Exceptional resolving capability enables every component of a scene to be faithfully reproduced in exquisite high-resolution. Sagittal coma flare is effectively minimised for superior reproduction of point light sources as fine rounded points, even at the periphery of an image.
- Exquisite bokeh: The intensity of bokeh transitions smoothly as the distance from the sharply focused point increases, resulting in no rough edges. Enables high-resolution images with an additional sense of depth.
- Wide-open master: Subjects are sharply rendered when shooting at the widest aperture of f/1.4. High contrast images of distant subjects or low-light scenes can be obtained without needing to stop down the aperture.
- Superior edge-to-edge performance: Peripheral light falloff is controlled to retain brightness across the frame. Subjects located at the edge of the frame are sharp and well-resolved, even when shooting at maximum aperture with focus set to infinity.
- Renowned NIKKOR quality: Nano Crystal Coat effectively reduces ghost and flare, increasing the clarity and contrast of images. Autofocus is smooth, quiet, and swift, thanks to Nikon’s SWM (Silent Wave Motor).