- 24.5MP BSI CMOS sensor with on-sensor phase detection
- 7 frame per second shooting (12 fps in 12-bit electronic shutter mode)
- UHD 4K capture at up to 30p from the full width of the sensor
- 51-point AF module supported by 180,000 pixel RGB metering sensor
- 273 point on-sensor PDAF in Live View (sensitive to -4 EV)
- 3.2", 2.36M-dot touchscreen
- Shutter range of 900 - 1/8000 sec
- 10-bit video output over HDMI
- 2260 shots per charge with viewfinder
- Dual UHS-II SD card slots
- Snapbridge Bluetooth and Wi-Fi system (with Raw and video transfer)
The tough D780 boasts a fast, dedicated Hybrid-AF system for Live View shooting, and a fast, powerful 51-point Phase-Detection AF system for viewfinder shooting. When shooting in Live View, photographers and moviemakers benefit from the same AF system as found in the acclaimed Nikon Z 6 mirrorless camera. Users can lock onto expressions with Eye-Detection AF and take advantage of low-light AF, which powers reliable subject acquisition all the way down to -6 EV. Photographers shooting through the viewfinder benefit from flagship tracking performance, and quick switching between advanced AF modes.
Fast burst rates add to the versatility of this camera: up to 7 fps in viewfinder shooting, and 12 fps in Silent Photography mode during Live View shooting. Other notable features include the blazing maximum shutter speed of 1/8000 s, which gives photographers the flexibility to sync with Nikon Speedlights. Or they can stretch time all the way to 900 s, perfect for capturing dramatic light trails and nightscapes.
Movie shooters will love the quality of the footage they can achieve with the D780. The camera uses its 6K image sensor resolution to produce ultra-high-resolution 4K/UHD footage at 30p/25p/24p with zero crop factor. Videographers can also use an external movie recorder to capture rich HLG HDR footage, which can be shown directly on a compatible TV or monitor.
AF with viewfinder shooting
The 51-point Phase-Detection AF system is sensitive down to -3 EV and the bright optical viewfinder allows sharp, real-time confirmation of the action you frame. Track subjects at lightning speed, even in low light.
Always locked on
During viewfinder shooting, the 51-point AF system lets you adapt instantly with quick switching between advanced AF modes. Benefit from fast acquisition and stunning background isolation with Group-Area AF mode.
AF in Live View
When shooting in Live View, the 273-point Hybrid-AF system covers approx. 90 % of the frame horizontally and approx. 90 % vertically. The tilting monitor frees up the angles and offers touch shutter release and AF.
Sharp in any light
The 273-point Hybrid-AF system is sensitive down to -4 EV when shooting with a lens that has a maximum aperture of f/2 or wider. For really dark scenes, you can activate Low-Light AF and shoot down to -6 EV with AE.
Reveal those all-important seconds
Harness burst rates of up to 7 fps with AF/AE when shooting through the viewfinder. Get up to 12 fps when shooting in Silent Live View Photography mode. You get full resolution images, even when shooting in RAW.
Ultra-high-speed continuous shooting
Want to show the moves within the moves? Shoot in Live View and you can capture Full HD (2 MP) stills at up to 120 fps. Or you can capture 4K/UHD (8 MP) stills at up to 30 fps.
Nail any scene
Epic views. Extreme action. The back-illuminated 24.5 MP full-frame CMOS sensor and EXPEED 6 image processor offer wide dynamic range and clean performance across the ultra-wide ISO range. The same 180K-pixel RGB sensor and Advanced Scene Recognition system as the D850 delivers incredible precision.
Match your vision
Shooting in dramatic weather conditions or under bright city lights at night? Diverse metering and white balance modes free you to respond quickly to changes under natural light, or in high-contrast situations.
Bright light or low light
An ISO range of 100–51200, extendable up to an incredible 204800 and down to ISO 50, lets you adapt instantly to changing light. Achieve rich tones under bright sunlight. Reveal detail and nuance in low light.
Make anything possible
Shutter speeds from 1/8000 to 900 s give you more flexibility to play with time. Easily sync Nikon Speedlights at high speed for epic action shots. Or slow everything down for dramatic light trails and nightscapes.
Film as the action demands it
The D780 uses its 6K image sensor resolution to produce ultra-high-resolution 4K/UHD footage at 30p/25p/24p with zero crop factor. You can record Full HD slow-motion footage in-camera at up to 120p, with audio. And you can record footage in DX format at 50p/60p frame rates. AF speed and AF tracking can be set during recording, and there are four AF-area modes for video.
- N-LOG: Preserve up to 12 stops of dynamic range for more flexibility when editing and grading. Recording in N-Log at a high 10-bit depth lets you retrieve 4x more information than with a standard 8-bit recording.
- Hybrid Log Gamma (HLG): Remove the need for time-consuming colour grading in post. The D780 lets you use an external movie recorder to capture rich HLG HDR footage, which can be shown directly on a compatible TV or monitor.
- Timecode Output: Record timecode in drop-frame or non-drop-frame formats, and output via 10-bit HDMI. Atomos Open Protocol is supported for synching the start/stop of HDMI recording via your external recorder. Or via the camera.
Create images with seemingly impossible depth of field using Focus Shift Shooting mode. You can determine the distance of each focus step, and a focus-peaking feature helps confirm focus at each layer.
Nikon’s Picture Control system makes it easy to define parameters for stills or video. There’s a range of preset options or you can create custom controls for specific subjects and scenes.