Sony Brings New Level of Power to Premium Compact Camera Line-up with the introduction of the RX100 VII; Alpha 9 performance in your pocket
- Newly developed 1.0-type stacked 20.1 MP sensor
- Alpha 9-level speed performance
- 20fps blackout-free shooting with AF/AE tracking
- World-leading 357-point focal-plane phase-detection AF
- 425-point contrast-detection AF
- World’s fastest 0.02 sec high AF speed
- Real-time Tracking and Real-time Eye AF for humans and animals
- ZEISS® Vario-Sonnar T* 24-200mm F2.8 – F4.5
- New ‘Single Burst Shooting’ Drive Mode at up to 90fps speed
- Pro-level movie functionality including 4K HDR (HLG)
- Real-time Tracking and Real-time Eye AF for movie shooting
- 4K Active SteadyShot™
- integrated microphone jack
The RX100 VII is powered by a newly developed 1.0-type stacked Exmor RS CMOS image sensor and the latest-generation BIONZ X image processor. This combination delivers new levels of autofocus performance and achieves speed breakthroughs that have previously only been seen on the Alpha 9. The flexibility of shooting is ensured by a ZEISS® Vario-Sonnar T* 24-200mm F2.8-4.5 high magnification zoom lens, making the RX100 VII a versatile choice for all types of shooting scenarios and users, from photo enthusiasts to professionals.
New Standard for AF Performance in a Compact Camera
The RX100 VII offers a world-leading 357 focal-plane phase-detection AF points and 425 contrast-detection AF points. In addition, thanks to a newly optimised lens drive control, world’s fastest 0.02 sec AF acquisition time is realised. A major leap in AF/AE tracking performance during continuous shooting means the camera performs AF/AE calculations up to 60 times per second and captures fast-moving action at 20fps with AF/AE tracking, ensuring that each moment is shot with swift and accurate focus.
In addition, the image sensor realises blackout-free shooting for a completely live view, even when continuous shooting at 20fps; the same experience as the Alpha 9. The RX100 VII also debuts a new drive mode, Single Burst Shooting, for capturing the perfect high-speed shot at up to 90fps in JPEG/RAW format utilising the anti-distortion shutter. ‘Single Burst Shooting’ allows the photographer to frame fast-moving action and shoot as if taking a single shot but the camera will actually deliver 7 still images, taken at 90fps, 60fps or 30fps, so the user can select the perfect moment.
For the first time in a compact camera, the RX100 VII introduces advanced ‘Real-time Tracking’ and ‘Real-time Eye AF’ capabilities. ‘Real-time Tracking’ utilises Sony’s latest algorithm including artificial intelligence-based object recognition to ensure that subjects can be captured with excellent accuracy, even via the touch panel on the rear screen. ‘Real-time Eye AF’, the latest version of Sony’s acclaimed Eye AF technology, employs AI-based object recognition to detect and process eye data in real-time, resulting in improved accuracy, speed and tracking the performance of Eye AF for both humans and animals and allows the photographer to concentrate exclusively on composition.
The compact and lightweight characteristics of the RX100 VII (approx. 302g / 102mm x 58mm x 43mm) means it can always be carried around and can be mounted in places that larger cameras cannot. But its small factor belies a multitude of pro-level movie-making capabilities perfect for on-the-go shooting such as vlogging:
- 4K in-body movie recording with full pixel readout and no pixel binning in high bit rate XAVCS™
- Real-time Tracking and Real-time Eye AF for video
- 4K Active SteadyShot that is 8x more effective than 4K Standard SteadyShot
- Integrated Microphone input
- Hybrid Log-Gamma (HDR) / S-Gamut3.Cine / S-Log3, S-Gamut3/S-Log3
- Compatibility with ‘Movie Edit add-on’ from the ‘Imaging EdgeTM’ mobile application for movie stabilisation and editing
- Vertical-position data recording for movies
- Interval Shooting for stunning time-lapse videos
- Super Slow Motion recording at up to 1000fps
- 180-degree flip screen for ease-of-use whilst vlogging